Friday, January 27, 2012

Enroll your child to Preschool or not?

My 4 year old son goes to a Montessori school Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 3:00pm.  We initially started him in a school at the age of 2 because he was getting bored at home everyday. He was doing the same things everyday and only seeing me and his dad on a daily basis.  We felt that he wanted and needed some interaction with other kids his age.  I would take him to parent/child classes at the Little Gym and Gymboree one time a week each, but we could tell that he wanted more.  I would sit down with him to teach him shapes and colors at the age of 2, but he would not sit down with me to learn anything for more than 2 minutes.  That's when we decided to enroll him in a Learning Center for 3 days a week, so he can start learning from them as well as get the social interaction he needed.

There are a lot of people that say that the more they learn at an early age, the more bored they will be when they start real school.  My son's birthday is in October so he will not be starting real school till August 2013 and he already knows how to read and write.  I am worried that he knows so much now and he'll end up being bored when Kindergarten comes around.  I have heard that you can enroll your child in a Private school and they won't be bored there because their curriculum is different. Not totally sure what we are going to do when that time comes, but I feel that we need to figure out what we're going to do now. Should we still let him continue to learn as much as he can or should we but an end to all of the extra teaching that we do at home? We're going to do some research and talk to our pediatrician and we'll figure it out soon.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment