Monday, April 2, 2012

Rewarding Your Child/The Board Dudes Dry Erase Chore Chart

There are so many times that my 4 year old is just such an amazing, loving and caring son and then there are times that he decides not to be a good boy that day or not to listen to his parents or his teacher.  He knows who he can get away with doing whatever he wants to do with and who he can not get away with.  Children are very smart and they will use it to their advantage.  He knows that if his grandparents are around then he can do whatever he wants and that he can cry to get what he wants.  He knows that he can do that in public as well because we don't want him to cry in public.

A few weeks ago, I decided that there is no way that he's going to do this all of the time forever.  He is old enough to know how to act and what is expected of him at ALL times.  A few months back, I saw this erasable chore chart at Target and decided to get it because I can use it one day, because it always happens that when you're ready to start using something and when you try to go buy it...for some reason they stopped selling it or making it.

So, I decided that I can use this chore chart in a different way for my son.  I wrote down different things that are expected of him.  Some examples are:  Eating all of his food; listening to Mom, Dad, & Teacher; Being a Good Boy; Brushing his teeth; Helping Someone; Reading a Book to Mom or Dad....etc.  He gets a star for each item that is listed and for each day.  At the end of each week he gets rewarded and there are 3 levels of rewards....for my son this week, if he gets 20 stars then I will take him to the Museum, and if he gets 30 stars then I will take him to the library and if he gets 40 stars then I will take him to Toys R Us.

I LOVE the difference that it's made in my son's mentality.  He wants to earn his stars everyday and goes to look throughout the day all of the things that he still needs to do in order to earn all of his stars.  He knows now that he needs to listen to us everyday and he needs to be a good boy everyday and that he needs to help everyone everyday.  He likes to help clean up all of the time now and he likes to help his little brother alot now!

The board is called The Board Dudes Dry Erase Chore Chart.  It comes with a Dry Erase marker and magnetic stars and happy faces to use.  I also Love the fact that you can use the same board for more than 1 child.


No comments:

Post a Comment